Tuesday 16 July 2013

Roaming the streets of Hong Kong

I have been such a lazy lump since I came to HK that it's a miracle this post is right here, staring you in the face... But it is! Finally caught a break between eating, shopping and school to edit photos and write this out. I'm currently on a month-long summer school programme at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). It's located in the New Territories and the school itself is in some small backwater area with rocky geography and bendy curves that make riding the internal shuttle bus feel like a rollercoaster experience. The campus is beautifully decked with lush greenery and some water features. It feels like something out of a Chinese painting at times.


We fondly dubbed this the infinity pond, the cousin of MBS' infinity pool. It's a beautiful small pond that's on the way out towards the bus stop. A very scenic and touristy spot for photos - I'm planning on taking some there for a shoot soon.


CUHK has very, very green trees and bushes that look like a very comfy green carpet in this photo. Absolutely no editing done at all.


I love the greenery on campus! The trees look tall and imposing on the left. Somehow reminds me of the manicured lawns of Western countries.

As it's been a pretty relaxing trip so far (apart from school on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays), I don't have many pictures of the HK cityscape apart from these.


This was taken in the famous Goldfish Market on Tung Choi Street North. They sell tons of fish and other pets there. We saw a number of reptiles, dogs, cats, hamsters, rabbits etc.


This is the famous Yau Ma Tei Police Station in Kowloon constructed in the colonial style of the old era. Apparently it's where all HK cop drama serials film their scenes - I didn't know that, but that's what our local friend said. I found it funny how this is the one used in films though all the other police stations don't look anything like that!


It's a little scary to see how the maids in HK spend their weekends. They crowd in alleyways, street corners and random spaces, sitting on flattened out cardboard boxes and chatting. I'm not one to judge how people spend their free time, and I'm pretty sure these maids don't have many places to congregate, but it's a bit of an eyesore to see them sitting around on the streets.


No, it's not evening in this shot, but a mistake with the lighting settings that turned out surprisingly well. I like the feel of the shot though. The old lady was washing her hands with air-conditioning water and this shot made that rather surreal though you can't see the water.

It's a little abrupt to end my post here because it was originally meant to include the food I've had so far (loads of dim sum, so go ahead and be jealous) but it would have been far too long. I've decided to make that my next post, which will probably be up real soon along with my outfit shots (two "shoots" so far) and haul pictures. 'Til then, I'll just continue being a lazy lump in HK and enjoying the food and shopping here. Yup, school's not a priority. You can follow my HK adventures on Instagram if you like; I update it way more often than this. 再見 (joigin - goodbye in Cantonese)!

Rachel loves sharing about the beautiful things in life from different perspectives. She writes on beauty and lifestyle in Cherchez Beauté , and does more abstract stuff on Antelune . When she's not writing, she's playing with her dog Holly, doodling and reading fiction. You can follow her on Facebook , Twitter and Instagram .