Tuesday 21 October 2014

Hada Labo Super HA Hydrating Lotion Review and Pictures

Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Lotion (This post is part 3 of my Daily Skincare Routine series)

Ah, Hada Labo, the brand that everyone loves because it's simple and it works. I'll be talking about using Hada Labo Super HA Hydrating Lotion as a day moisturiser in this post. I know it's counterintuitive as it's labelled as a lotion (toner) and not a moisturiser, but HA (hyaluronic acid) is so awesomely moisturising that this lotion is enough.

I use Hada Labo Super HA Hydrating Lotion after cleansing my face with Bioderma Créaline H2O Solution Micellaire and using Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner. I like how this lotion has a thin texture and is translucent, almost like water, but is still extremely moisturising.




When applied, it goes on slightly tacky but is quickly absorbed into the skin and leaves no residue/greasy feeling, allowing me to apply other products. I don't use products that form a greasy film on my skin in the daytime mostly because it feels very uncomfortable and accentuates the shine on my face. Singapore's humid weather can be such a downer sometimes!

Let's take a look at the ingredients (copied off the label):

Water, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, PPG-10 Methyl Glucose Ether, Methylparaben, Disodium Succinate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Succinic Acid, Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium Acetylated Hyaluronate

Don't you love how simple the formula is? No fragrances, alcohol, mineral oil or colorants! I love the fact that there's hyaluronic acid in this product, because it's such a fantastic moisturising ingredient! I checked out the other ingredients on EWG Skin Deep, and all but one ingredient pose no health concern. The only one that has a slight risk is methylparaben, but the whole parabens issue is still up for debate, and it's not the main ingredient of this product anyway.

After using Hada Labo Super HA Hydrating Lotion for more than a year and switching it up with other products, I keep coming back to Hada Labo! This lotion just works and is suitable for all skin types. It can be used as a toner, moisturiser and essence depending on how you apply it.

If you're applying it as a toner, you can use a cotton pad or with the Hitachi HadaCRiE. If you're applying it as a moisturiser, you can use your hands to pat it onto your face. If you prefer applying it as an essence/mask, you can try soaking a few cotton pads with the lotion and placing it on your face for about 10-15 minutes! You can buy this versatile lotion from most drugstores e.g. Watsons, Guardian, and the price point is just nice as well, at S$22.90 for 170ml.

That said, this lotion is the older version of the Super HA products. Hada Labo has recently released a new line of 4 interlocking hyaluronic acids Super HA products, which I have yet to try. They even have a "normal" and "light" version of the products; the light version is for those who prefer a lighter texture (usually people with combination/oily skin) and the normal version is for those with dryer skin. I'll do a comparison review when I get the newly-formulated ones as well.

Are you a fan of Hada Labo products too? Which Hada Labo products are your favourites?



Product name: Hada Labo Super HA Hydrating Lotion
Product type: Moisturising Lotion
Amount of product: 170ml
Price per product: S$22.90
Comments: Effective, extremely hydrating, good for all types of skin (especially sensitive skin), good price, good formula
Where to buy: Watsons, Guardian, other pharmacies
To buy or not to buy: Yes, yes, yes. It's fantastic for all types of skin and is hydrating enough for my dry skin during the day. Just buy and try it - you won't regret it.

Product Approved 5/5


As a sidenote, I'm sure some of you astute readers would have noticed that the original part 3 of this skincare routine series should have featured Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentré. I was going to talk about how moisturising it was as a night cream and how cheap it was in Europe. I had already written half the post out...

Then I did some research on the ingredients and found out (to my horror) that this Embryolisse product contains triethanolamine, which is an emulsifier and pH balancer that can cause watery eyes and itchy skin! I did a quick google and didn't see any reviews which mentioned that, so I hope my review helps clear the air about triethanolamine-containing skincare products. (Readers, if you disagree with my opinion please comment! I want to hear from you about this.)


Disclaimer: I was not paid, sponsored nor influenced by external sources when reviewing this product. My opinions as expressed in the review are solely my own.

Rachel loves sharing about the beautiful things in life from different perspectives. She writes on beauty and lifestyle in Cherchez Beauté , and does more abstract stuff on Antelune . When she's not writing, she's playing with her dog Holly, doodling and reading fiction. You can follow her on Facebook , Twitter and Instagram .